Thursday, January 27, 2011

Version Control

Our topic for today's class is version control.  We saw the need for this kind of system when we worked on our project last semester in 362.  My team's project, Sugar Labs, uses GIT for their version control, but I'm sure what we learn in class about Subversion will help with GIT as well.

Our assignment for today was to download Subversion and experiment with it.  I started out with a CollabNet version of Subversion.  I must have missed something because when I tried to open it, nothing happened.  I was re-routed to a web page that was non-existent.  Then, when I tried to use Python for a different project, I got a run-time error because it tried to open the Python version that comes with Subversion.  I un-installed Subversion, and Python worked.

This morning, I decided to try a different version of Subversion.  I had heard of Tortoise, so I tried that one.  It seems to work fine, so far.  I plan to work with it a little more and interact with the 462playground on the CIRDLES server.

No comments:

Post a Comment