Tuesday, January 25, 2011

More Sugar...

We continue to learn more about the Sugar Labs project and try to figure out how we will be able to work on it.  For our class presentation, we researched the history of the project and some of its main members.  The open source community is very intriguing to me.  I see some of these names pop up in the mailing list emails I'm receiving and don't think much about them.  Then after doing a little research (it's not hard to find their blogs and web pages), they become interesting people who have contributed a whole lot to this and other projects. 

We still haven't nailed down what we'd like to do to contribute to the project.  I think our first step is going to be getting a hold of the source code and figuring out how to fix one of the reported bugs.  From there, we will have a better idea of what we're getting ourselves into.

It's been a little frustrating trying to get into the actual OS and activities so we can see how it works.  I've downloaded Sugar on a Stick several times.  It seems to work once, and then I can't get back in so I must re-install the program on my flash drive.  Since that wasn't working so well, I decided to download Ubuntu and try the Sugar Emulator that is available in the Software Center.  I was able to get to the Sugar desktop, but there weren't many activities, and the mouse wasn't working very well (kept trying to grab when I wanted to click).  And then when I closed the Emulator, my mouse was still not working in the rest of Ubuntu.  I think there are several other routes that I haven't tried yet.  I've been reading a FLOSS manual for Sugar, and I'm hoping it will give me some direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment