Thursday, January 20, 2011

Blog #3

My team has officially chosen to use Sugar Labs for our term project.  I've been trying to download Sugar on a Stick (SoaS) so that I can see how the activities work.  Also, I think we'll eventually be developing on SoaS.  (Not quite sure about that yet.)  I was able to download the newest version of SoaS (Mango Lassi) and had it working several days ago, but it shut down when I tried one of the activities (with the snake icon).  Hopefully I can't get it running again this weekend.

We were able to join the IRC channel for newbies and test it out a little.  Tonight there is a meeting on one of the IRCs.  I'm going to join it for a little to see what kinds of things they talk about in these meetings.

We joined the mailing list for the development team.  There is a lot of traffic on the mailing list, and I think I might unsubscribe for a while because I've been getting 20+ emails per day. 

Raymond presents some interesting ideas about open source projects and how to handle them so they are successful.  A lot of his ideas center around realizing the importance of everyone involved, from the best coders to the users who don't know anything about code.  All of these different people can catch bugs and contribute new ideas to the project.  Another important aspect is working together and accepting criticism and better ideas that may be different from yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment